Police Constable

From 2020, the entry requirements to policing at police constable rank will require all officers to either obtain or already have a degree level qualification in what is an increasingly challenging and demanding occupation, but also one which provides a great degree of job satisfaction.  We are working in partnership with Thames Valley Police to provide the Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship (PCDA) so that driven and talented individuals can apply to be Thames Valley Police Apprentice Constables and gain a degree whilst working and earning.

The PCDA is a challenging, yet rewarding three-year programme combining on-the-job practical learning, academic learning and operational competence. Successful apprentices will graduate with a nationally recognised honours degree in Professional Policing Practice.

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

Programme outline

Year one: A blended learning programme delivered by TVP and Bucks New University with initial learning based at TVP’s Training Centre in Sulhamstead, Reading. Apprentices will then join their designated Local Policing Area (LPA) for a period of operational tutoring leading to Independent Patrol Status.

Year two: Builds on the first year of learning but with more operational focus including response, investigation, intelligence, community policing and roads policing.

Year three: As part of the End Point Assessment apprentices will complete an Evidence-Based Research Project and achieve Full Operational Competence. The research project has a practical policing purpose; demonstrating learning, critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

You can find details about the PCDA programme on the Thames Valley Police website or you can visit the College of Policing website for more information on careers within the police.  Full details of the PCDA standards are also available on the Government’s website.